RAZCER Advisory Group
Terms of Reference
RAZCER Advisory Group
This is an advisory group of CARO. It serves to ensure the appropriate and equitable disbursement of funds provided by AstraZeneca to the members defined below. The study awards are referred to as RAZCER, (Rapid AstraZeneca CARO Evaluation of Radiomodifiers).
To develop a fair, open and equitable mechanism to disburse funds as provided by Astra-Zeneca for research in the area of drug modifiers of radiation response.
- To devise an annual (or as often as the Advisory Group decides) competition for funds. To advertise the competition to the membership of CARO
- To determine eligibility for the award
- To develop an appropriate schedule for the award cycle
- To uphold basic tenets of the award and funding mechanism through funds from AstraZeneca
- funds are to be used for novel studies pertaining to radiation-drug interactions
- funds are given to CARO as an unrestricted educational fund
- drugs or molecular inhibitors to be studied would at the discretion of the applicant (eg may or may not be the study of AstraZeneca compounds)
- in vitro and in vivo pre-clinical studies would be eligible as would correlative studies tagged to Phase 0-III clinical trials using such agents
- drug & radiation interactions could involve either protection of normal tissues or sensitization of tumour tissues
- If the principal investigator is a basic scientist or a Fellow, there must be a radiation oncologist as a co-applicant
This Advisory Group consists of basic and clinical scientific members of the CARO Translational Advisory Group who represent the five regions: British Columbia, Prairie Provinces, Ontario, Quebec and the Eastern Provinces. All categories of membership are eligible to sit on the Advisory Group. All advisory group members must be CARO members. In addition, AstraZeneca will be represented by a Research Director, who will serve as an observer. The RAZCER Advisory Group members will be appointed by the President of CARO.
4. Terms of Office
The term of office of members is three years, renewable.
5. Reporting Relationships
The RAZCER Advisory Group reports to the Board of CARO. The Advisory Group will provide an annual written report to the Board and will make a presentation to the membership at the Annual General Meeting.
The Advisory Group will liaise with other Advisory Groups when appropriate.
The Advisory Group will meet at the call of the Chairs, at least annually, and conduct correspondence and teleconferences at the discretion of the chairs.
8. Financial Arrangements
No Advisory Group member shall be remunerated for being or acting as an Advisory Group member. CARO will provide support towards Advisory Group meetings held at the Annual General Meeting or to CARO representatives travelling on approved business that is not otherwise supported. Expenses (airfare/accommodation for committee members and meeting location costs) for the annual (or as otherwise determined) meeting of the Advisory Group to review the RAZCER application may be funded by AstraZeneca in addition to the funds provided for the competition. In the event no funds are forthcoming from the sponsor, the meeting will be held by teleconference.
This Advisory Group is governed by the By-Laws of CARO.